Pages

Friday, March 28, 2014

Are my parents crazy?

In case I haven't told you, sometimes I think my parents are strange. Or ridiculous. Or hilarious. Or inappropriate. Or wise. Or silly. Or sometimes, awesome.

A while ago, I heard a gal say she had never been on a plane or out of the Midwest, much less the nation. To some, this is their norm. However, I was surprised. While I understand many people have not had the same opportunities I have had or share my love for travel, her remark made me reflect.

  • I flew in a plane for the first time at age 9.
  • With my family, I've traveled to various places within the nation.
  • I left the country without my parents at age 13. And again at 14 and 15.
  • I flew and left the continent with five people my parents didn't really know at age 19.


WHAT were my parents thinking?!?!?
That they were not going to stand in God's way. 


When I first left the country, I went with my youth group on a week-long mission trip. I was a freshman in high school, the youngest person on the trip.
Let's not judge the fashion, okay?



Again, when I went to West Africa last summer, I was the youngest person on the trip.
Six years later and I'm still pale. Good.
When I told my parents that I was thinking of going on a mission trip for the summer, they were behind me. Sure, they had questions, but they were in step. My dad said that it helped that many things were in order and organized (Shout out to Missions Staff) as well as the fact that I wasn't going to a super dangerous part of the world.

But he also said that he knows God is doing big things with or without you. If God "invites" you do get on board with something, you can say yes or no, but saying yes will take you on a wild ride full of "turbulence." He'll get you through it, and it might not be easy. It will be crazy, and you might even see great, wild "God things."

As my dad and I parted ways before my trip, he told me, "I can't wait for you to go because I can't wait to hear the stories you'll have when you come back."

So mostly, this post is not to brag about my rockstar parents, but to encourage other parents to let your kids go and do great things for God. Your kid and you won't regret it. (And your kid might recognize how cool you are.)

No comments:

Post a Comment